Considering a New Year detox?
So, the dust has finally settled on the silly season festivities. Now you might be questioning that second (third and fourth) serve of trifle or Christmas pudding. Luckily the New Year brings with it a fresh canvas to set new goals for personal growth. It is also the perfect time to put your health under the spotlight. There are numerous naturopathic products that may assist you in achieving your health goals if a detox is high on your list of New Year resolutions.
If you’re wanting to bring the New year in feeling refreshed, clear headed and positive, a simple detox can do wonders. Toxicity build up can occur throughout the year as we overindulge, eat more sugar and refined foods, take on added stress plus use various stimulants daily. Symptoms related to toxicity can include headaches, fatigue, pains, coughs, gastrointestinal problems and issues with immune weakness.
Toxicity occurs in our body when we take in more than we can utilise or eliminate.
What is detoxification?
The body is highly efficient at the process of detoxification. Whereby toxins are transformed in the liver into harmless, water-soluble molecules. These are then excreted from the body through the kidneys and bowel. Proper functioning of the liver, bowel, kidneys and skin can ensure the process of detoxification runs smoothly.
Any time these body systems aren’t functioning at 100% (coupled with poor diet, stress and an increase in exposure to toxins), detoxification may be impaired. This can lead to fatigue, poor mental function, poor digestive function, lacklustre skin, food or chemical sensitivities, and immune dysfunction (just to name a few).
Naturopathic detox aids include:
Herbal medicines are one of our favourites to assist the detoxification process. Herbs such as Milk Thistle, dandelion, turmeric and globe artichoke can improve detoxification pathways in the liver, providing a protective effect on liver cells and improving kidney and bowel function. Ask our team to formulate a custom herbal tonic. If you’re more of a tablet person try Fusion Liver Tonic or Herbs of Gold Liver Care.
For the liver to function well it needs a steady supply of several amino acids. Cysteine, glutamine, glycine, methionine, N-acetylcysteine and taurine are all-important amino acids that can ensure the phases of liver detoxification run smoothly.
Eat more Greens!
Algae such as chlorella and spirulina have long been used to enhance detoxification, due to their presence of fibre and chlorophyll. In addition, these green powerhouses contain a wide variety of naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Greens supplements are a great, easy-to-take formula – which offers concentrated doses to get the goods into you!
Dry skin brushing and Epsom salt baths
These may also improve circulation and channels of elimination to support detoxification. Plus, it’s helpful to cleanse the skin of old cells and invigorate it.
Ask our qualified in-store naturopaths and nutritionists for dietary advice and recipes, and whether a detox is suitable for you.
Our top tips!
- Eat organic foods whenever possible. Remove or minimize red meats, cured meats, organ meats, refined foods, canned foods, sugar, salt, saturated fats, gluten, coffee, alcohol, and nicotine. Eat a simple wholefood diet full of greens. Add in herbal tinctures, magnesium, slippery elm, aloe vera juice and probiotics to support optimal gut health and healthy bowel function.
- Drink filtered water and herbal teas. To cleanse our skin & kidneys up your water intake. Add a tsp of Celtic Seal Salt for extra minerals!
- Reevaluate your kitchenware. Minimize plastic & cook in iron, stainless steel, glass, or porcelain.
- To improve elimination through the skin, regular exercise is important to stimulate sweating. Exercise also improves our general metabolism and aids overall detoxification.
- Cold water showers and ocean swims help to cleanse the skin of released toxins and to open pores to eliminate more. Saunas can assist in purifying with enhanced skin elimination. Dry brushing the skin with an appropriate brush before bathing is helpful to cleanse the skin of old cells and invigorate it.
- Massage therapy, especially lymphatic and even deeper massage helps stimulate elimination and body functions, promoting relaxation.
- Resting, relaxation and recharging Prioritise rest this summer, to help rebalance the body and mind. Walking in the fresh air and gentle yoga stretches with breathing awareness will help to regulate the nervous system and release any excess burden on the kidneys.
Our Naturopaths & Nutritionists are on hand to guide you.
Share this post with your friends